23 September 2013

Lunch with our family

We had a wonderful family lunch yesterday with Kerry, Sunny, Sunny's mum Sunja, sister Sungji and niece Jooa. We all had a great time and I felt honoured to have Sunny's family here in our home. They are lovely people and it's a great comfort to Sunny to have them here. Sunja is staying for a month, while Sungji and Jooa will fly back to Korea during the week.



 Some gifts for Hanno's birthday. 

Our lunch was buttermilk fried chicken with potato salad, garden salad, pasta salad and beetroot. Drinks were lemon cordial and beer, dessert was chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream from here.  It's an excellent recipe for chocolate cake and it's all done by hand, no mixer needed.




Before everyone left we went out to the garden to pick vegetables. It is such a wonderful thing for us to be able to share what we grow with others. Sunny has planned a Korean pork belly BBQ, with fresh vegetables.

I've half written a post about self sufficiency that I'll finish off today and post tomorrow. I'm exhausted at the moment and need to take a day off. I'll spend today knitting and reading and hopefully feel better tomorrow.  See you then.


SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Hi Rhonda, lovely to have family around. Looks like a wonderful lunch for Hanno's birthday too. Take care, hope you are feeling rested and refreshed soon, Kathryn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have the wisdom to listen to your body, know you are tired and take the time to regroup. I'm learning many things from your blog, so thank you!! I'm definately going to try the chocolate cake.

    Warm Regards Jan x

    agluttonouswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely lunch! And so nice to share it with wider family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhonda,

    I hope you have a lovely, restful day. I'll be knitting along with you :)

    Madeleine.X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a wonderful family weekend.
    Look after yourself, pleased you can take it easy today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite part about your post was where you said you would knit and read the rest of the day. Good for you! Looks like a wonderful day. And glad you are taking time to just have fun and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was very pleased to read your are having a rest day Rhonda. Very important as we age. I read not so long ago that Earl Hamner ( The Waltons) had a revelation in his 80's? ( or older?) that he could no longer run around like he did in his younger years :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely friendly looking people Sunny's family are. Your lunch looks good, do you marinate the chicken in buttermilk Rhonda? Have a good rest, sometimes a day out is exactly what we need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rosie, marinade in buttermilk for at least six hours, up to 12 hours, or overnight. It makes the chicken really tender and tasty. I use the Aldi fresh and free range chickens at around $6 a kilo and break them down here.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely spread on your table. My eye has been rather drawn to the tablecloth with the assorted baskets - I like it. Sounds like the day went well, happy faces all around and I'm thrilled to bits to hear the chocolate cake get a thumbs up! Wonderful news - thank you Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious everyone loved it. I loved the deep rich chocolate flavour that previously I only got if I used dark chocolate, so this recipe is a keeper for me. Thanks for sharing it. When I get a minute, I'll go over to your blog and add a comment.

      Delete
    2. Just popped over to thank you for your generous comments on my blog. Really appreciate you taking the time to do that Rhonda. BTW - you hit the nail on the head regarding the dark chocolate flavour. Spot on. Mariana x

      Delete
  10. Hi Rhonda - what a lovely way to spend your day. The photos are lovely, thank you for sharing them. Lunch looks delicious. It would be lovely for Sunny's family to spend time with you at your home.

    Please rest and take the time you need to recharge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pictures tell about a lovely family day, in a friendly and warm atmosphere...... Take care, Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely picture and what a coincidence. My daughter in law is also Korean and called Sun.
    Enjoy your rest
    Love
    Manon

    ReplyDelete
  13. We too like it best when we can share the stuff we grew and made with others, friends or family. And how wonderful for Sunny to have her Mum around for so long - I've just come back from a week with my mum, but I've yet to convince her to come and visit us in our home.... Not much of a traveller, my mum !

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig