11 September 2013

At home

I've had a busy time of it while these blog pages remained silent. There were a few changes in our home and my wardrobe, a couple of large bags taken to the charity shop and spring cleaning. We're just on the verge of opening the windows again after a fairly short, but cold, winter.

 Hanno trimming the climbing rose growing through the wisteria.
 We're having this rickety old fence replaced today.
Sometimes I feel like I'm living in parallel universes. Here at home the days are slow, considered, productive, simple, plain and natural but when I go out into the multiverse it's so different. I look around and remember things as they used to be - the changes on Brisbane's roads in the past ten years are incredible. Now there are tunnels going under the city and river, and streets and landmark houses have disappeared to facilitate those changes. I went to Brisbane twice in the past week, both times to talk about how we live and my book at the State Library, the venue for the Brisbane Writers' Festival. The traffic was fierce and noisy, people were rushing around, most places were crowded and chaotic. I saw unfamiliar faces everywhere. I was happy to get home, to sit down and have a cup of tea. If I had to choose my parallel universe, I'd choose this slow and simple one, not the one that starts at the end of our street.

Having written that though, I enjoyed the festival. We were spoilt in the green room with good coffee and a view over the city like no other. One day I spoke to a woman who'd written 300 books and the next to our ex-deputy prime minister, Tim Fisher. I met Tia at the masterclass and felt reassured to have one of the forum ladies at my side. I think it was Maria who gave me some of the most delicious home made marmalade and a chicory plant. Thanks Maria!

And I really liked Antonia Kidman. I didn't know much about her until her publisher sent me her book The Simple Things. She was quiet and friendly and sounds like a very hands-on, practical and dedicated mum. She has six children, so she is certainly busy, but she's also focused on her career, which I admire.



So now I'm back here, at home, in my natural environment. I'm at my best here.  I'm now concentrating on some new books for Penguin. I'm about to sign a contract to assign world rights to Penguin for Down the Earth, my book, and with the new ebooks I'm writing now, the first one being a Penguin Special and an ebook combo, I feel I'm living a dream life. I have the productive work of a homemaker to do every day here at home and that is balanced by the stimulating intellectual work of writing.

I plan on writing my blog about two or three times a week, in addition to my weekend reading posts. I have to cut back a little while I'm writing the books because I need time away from the computer and writing. I need to continue with my tasks and focus on what I do each day because it's easy to let things slip when there is so much to do.

When I'm out and about I'm often asked about what should be part of simple life and how to structure each day. There is no real answer to that but it's given me an idea for a new series. I've been rethinking my ideas on self sufficiency and food security and the new series will be built around those two important pillars. I am going to endeavour to write about part-time self sufficiency in the city, suburbs and on a larger block. I hope you'll be back to read some of it.

It's great to be back with you.


SHARE:

27 comments

  1. I will look forward to your plans for writing about part time self sufficiency in the suburbs. Good luck with the new book as well! Look forward to more reading material in the future.
    Best wishes to you and Hanno from across the big pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have felt a bit like that today - only it seemed to me as though I was stuck in the wrong universe. Pleased to say that I am back where I belong now though :)

    Looking forward to the series on part-time self sufficiency - any tips and thoughts on building bridges between these parallel worlds are very welcome !

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so looking forward to eading your new e-books. Good luck with balancing your home and public life. Enjoy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back....
    Melindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so good to be able to have the best of both worlds. To be able to continue with home making and have the added enjoyment of some other work is a wonderful thing. We have it here too but some times getting the balance right is tricky for me. Wishing you all the best with the books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does assigning the world rights mean that your book will be more easily available in North America? Because I really, really want to buy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're getting closer to that, Sophie. I still have to have a publisher who is interested in printing it, but it's much closer than it was.

      Delete
  7. A big congrats on the new deal with Penguin, and like Sophie will be glad to be able to buy your book here in the States.

    After moving away from San Diego, and the 1.3 million plus folks living there, I am still amazed when I get out of the house and drive. Folks are in more and more of a hurry. Your guess is as good as mine as to why.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Sounds like exciting times ahead. My ideal life is finding balance between home and creative work, your success gives me hope! Looking forward to reading these new projects in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhonda i have to agree about the road changes. Brisbane is growing and our quiet little Rochedale is being developed. It is no longer the farming community I now.

    As Dorothy says, "There is no place like home."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I enjoy reading what you write!
    To balance both worlds, that sounds like a very important goal to strive for.
    I hope you help many on their journey toward that goal, and me too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your new project - so many of us have full time jobs and can only devote weekends to gardening and home making. Congratulations on your book contracts, it seems that you will be busier with that too now. There is an ebb and flow to life, and being prepared to adapt to that is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was so lovely to meet you Rhonda. I went into queen street mall after the master class and it gave me a headache too many people rushing and pushing. Was so glad to come back home to my partner and our girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to meet you too Tia. After the masterclass finished I went to sign books and then went home. I think I got in around 3ish.

      Delete
  13. Hi Rhonda, it's Aleta here. I finally had a chance to meet you in person (I was the first one in the line at your book signing and you signed my poster which is now proudly displayed near my dining table) and you were so friendly - just like your blog writing! I was excited to hear you are writing more books and, like all your fans, will be looking forward to holding them in my hands...or ipad. ;-]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Aleta, yes I remember you and your poster. {{hugs}}

      Delete
  14. Rhonda-
    It all sounds so exciting and thrilling and scary at the same time.
    You must be full of ideas and encouragement after going to this meeting.
    I know the best writing for you, will come from doing what you do...living a down to earth lifestyle. Happy you are home now-- and maybe getting settled after a little rest.
    city life is hectic, Patrica

    ReplyDelete
  15. rhonda, i am reading your book.
    It is truly inspiring. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks anh. I like your blog. I'll go back and have another look later.

      Delete
  16. Hi Rhonda, I don't know about the USA but here in the UK I ordered your book from Fishpond.co.uk and it arrived in about ten days from NZ. There was no delivery charge and I was very impressed with their fast service. It's a lovely book and I am enjoying it very much. It's always nice to have new projects - keeps the brain working! - and I look forward to reading your new titles. AnneLizzie, Sussex England

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello AnneLizzie, fishpond deliver to the US as well but I think people are scared because they think the delivery cost will be too high. I'm so pleased you're enjoying the book. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  17. I enjoyed the talk on Simple Living with yourself and Antonia Kidman at the Writers Festival.
    So interesting to see a Simple Living approach from two different angles, from a young mother with six children and from the angle of a retired couple. It just shows that no matter what stage in life we are at, there are ways that we can all approach a simpler way of living.
    I love my "Down to Earth" book and use it as a reference book. I am looking forward to hearing more about your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back Rhonda. It's nice to go away but nicer to come home.

    Congratulations on your new book deal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Rhonda, you continue to inspire me and make me feel more 'normal' as a farming family just trying to make ends meet, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Rhonda,
    I live in the US and bought your book through Fishpond. I believe I paid about $12 for shipping. It was well worth it and I enjoy your book as I have read it over and again. I look forward to reading more of your work! The e-books sound great,but I do admit to preferring to sit down with a book in my hands. :-) Good luck with your tasks ahead and I will catch up with you here as always. Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kathy in South Ogden, Utah USASeptember 12, 2013 3:50 am

    I am glad to hear about fishpond. I looked on Amazon.com, and they list your book (with a photo, even!), but it's not yet available for purchase. Glad you're home. Will you post pictures of the new fence so we can see how nice it looks? Ours is about to fall down--maybe i can live vicariously through yours! ;) XXOO, Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig